Thursday, September 3, 2015

Using UV Resin To Make Miniature Transparent Cups

I'm so excited to share with you my experimentation of making dollhouse miniature transparent cups using UV Resin and some molds.

Before these materials were readily available, it was quite hard to make them properly, especially if you wanted your cups or glasses to look the same equally.

Then came the transparent air dry clay, which was pretty much the best answer to creating realistic looking transparent cups. The downside of it was that you had to be patient to let it dry. So if you want to make more than a few, you probably need a few days or even a week or two.

With UV Resin, everything is so much easier and faster. Below, I will write out the simple steps that you can follow to make your own!


How to use the UV Resin with Push Mold: 
It's really simple to use the UV resin with the push mold here. Simply squeeze the UV resin into the mold. It is best to fill up to 3/4 full. A way to check is to cover the top of the push mold and see if the resin comes right up to the lid of the push mold.

It is OK to have some UV Resin touching the top of the push mold. In fact, I prefer that so that your cups will be of the same equal height.

Keep the lid on and put it under the UV lamp for a few minutes.

After a few minutes, remove the top lid and remove cup from the mold. Use penknife to gently cut excess resin that has over-spilled.  Lastly, use sandpaper to gently buff the edges to give it a smooth round finish!

Here, I have the 2 different size cups made with UV Resin.

Both are suitable for 1/12 dollhouse miniature scale.

Cup molds are available here and here.
UV Resin is available here.

Lastly, the same method can be used for making plates, bowls as well! Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. Love the results! I find it fascinating,, to learn of all of the new products on the market these days and you have found another excellent one to recommend! Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I appreciate you visiting my blog, and taking the time to read and leaving me comments! I do read all of them :)